5 Leader Perspectives From 2022
by: BISA Staff
Over the course of the past seven months, we’ve had the honor to interview a number of leaders in bank and credit union investment services and wealth management programs as well as industry partners who have shared their leadership perspectives on a variety of topics.
Here are five of the top viewed interviews of 2022:
LEADERSHIP PERSPECTIVES | 02.02.22
Leading With Optimism Amongst Uncertainty
by: Shawn Mihal, LPL Financial
As we entered year two of the pandemic, there had been several changes to the industry. Uncertainty has become commonplace, which can create tension and anxiety about the future ahead. However, it doesn’t have to be like that. Instead of dwelling on the ‘what if’s,’ we should instead face toward the future with optimism.
We had the opportunity to speak with Shawn Mihal, executive vice president of Institution Services Relationship Management at LPL, and ask him how to lead with optimism amongst uncertainty.
Here are the questions that Shawn addressed:
- What kinds of plans do you and your organization have for financial professionals in 2022 and in terms of the long-term future?
- As the executive vice president of institution services, what do you consider to be the most rewarding experience of being in a leadership position?
- You and your organization are very optimistic about the future of financial advice. What makes LPL Financial so optimistic? What about the current state of the industry seems to promise a positive future?
View Shawl Mihal’s interview.
LEADERSHIP PERSPECTIVES | 02.15.22
Providing Inclusivity and Confronting Unconscious Bias
by: Martin Powell, CUNA Mutual Group
We had the opportunity to interview Martin Powell, head of annuity distribution at CUNA Mutual Group and a supporter of BISA’s Black Voices Unmuted task force, to share how leaders in his organization are tackling unconscious bias and creating an inclusive environment.
Here are the questions that Martin addressed:
- How have the CUNA Mutual Group leader retreats been impactful in terms of training the organization about inclusivity and unconscious bias?
- What are you personally aiming to do in 2022 as a leader at CUNA Mutual Group to foster inclusivity?
- What recommendations would you share with others who are looking to build successful, high performing, inclusive teams at their organization?
View Martin Powell’s interview.
LEADERSHIP PERSPECTIVES | March 2022
Women Leaders of the Industry, 3-Part Series
March is Women’s History Month. To celebrate, we held a series of interviews with women leaders in the financial services industry, including Kathy Burgess (Vice president-TPM of CUNA Brokerage Services), Jacinda Norvell (Senior managing director at Truist Wealth) and LeAnn Rummel (president and CEO of Cetera Investment Services).
Here are the questions that Kathy, Jacinda and LeAnn addressed:
- What is/was your proudest accomplishment? What is/was your greatest challenge?
- What advice do you have to give to other women leaders in the industry – both new and experienced?
- What changes have you witnessed and/or experienced regarding women’s contribution to the industry? What are your plans towards further change in the industry?
- Personally or professionally, what is your greatest aspiration?
View Part 1: Kathy Burgess’ interview. (03.08.22)
View Part 2: Jacinda Norvell’s interview. (03.15.22)
View Part 3: LeAnn Rummel’s interview. (03.22.22)
We are always looking to elevate the voices of BISA members. If you are interested in taking part in an interview, please contact email@example.com.